Access for All
Community Heath is our community outreach project that supports people and groups of all backgrounds and abilities wanting to get involved in volunteering and recreation across our green spaces. We deliver a range of free activities and events at Hampstead Heath, Kenwood Estate, Golders Hill Park and Highgate Wood to help people discover and learn more about nature and conservation. We work to ensure that our green spaces are welcoming and enjoyable for all people. In addition, we work to make our existing volunteeing programmes more accessible.
Recent community activities have included:
- women only activities and guided walks with Camden Health Kick and as part of #thisgirlcan
- woodland craft workshops and creative sessions for Camden Carers
- sessions for people with learning disabilities from the Camden Society to build confidence and familiarity with the Heath
- Recovery through Nature conservation sessions - find out what they get up to here.
- a Community Festival with music and family events at the Parliament Hill
- nature discovery and volunteering sessions for local schools, such as Wren Academy, Gospel Oak, Rhyl and Swiss Cottage School
- family activity days with groups such as Homestart Barnet and Laamiga
- outreach visits to older people's groups at QCCA and The Thanet
Get support to access our green spaces
Community Heath helps infrequent visitors and those who need a little bit of extra support to get involved. We work with existing community groups, and aim to build strong networks between different sectors. If you are a local community group, youth club, disability support group or other local organisation please contact us to see how we can support your members getting involved with their local green spaces.
Groups can use of our volunteer hub, the Hive for free, for indoor activities, tea breaks or to shelter from the weather, and other facilities across the Heath.
If you're not sure what you'd like to do, here are some ideas:
- take part in a guided walk
- have a picnic or other social event
- participate in a practical conservation or gardening session
- arrange a sporting event e.g. swimming, tennis, football or athletics
- learn more about our wildlife and habitats
- help design activities and make the Heath more accessible for all
Community Heath is kindly supported by the City of London Corporation and Camden Giving - further information on how visitors can access our green spaces is available here.